Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Should She Date in High School to Prepare for College?


Dear Readers,
We had so much fun with Priests this week, we're doing it again with High school dating. Hope you enjoy
~Molly & Peter

Molly and Peter,

I’m 17. I’m going to go to Baylor for their dance therapy program. My question isn’t really about college, it’s more about preparing for school. My parents still won’t let me date date. They’ll let me go out but only in groups, which would be okay, if I was going to BYU (like my parents did) with other kids who didn’t date in high school, but I’m worried that if I go to a different school I will be behind if I don’t go on more dates now. It’s not that I don’t get asked, but I always say no, or try and change it into a group date for my parents. How should I make my parents happy and also prepare socially for college?

Girl Ready, Only Unpermissive Parents


Molly: GROUP, the “Strength of Youth” pamphlet says that “when you begin dating, go in groups or on double dates.“ So your parents were right when you started dating, but you said you’ve been dating for a while now. You’re no longer beginning to date. You are growing up, you have a great sense of what you want to do with your future, and that future should not only include a fascinating career but a social life and relationships.



Peter: From the sound of your letter, GROUP, you’re about to start your senior year. You still have an entire year of living in your parents’ home. The SOY pamphlet may say to do something when you begin dating, but if I remember God told Moses something about respecting parents, and that also seems pretty important to me.



Molly: Of course you have to honor your parents, but that doesn’t mean doing everything they say without talking about it first. You feel like you want to date, and not only does the SOY say what you can’t do in dating it says to date, because it helps you develop friendships and prepare for marriage. It helps you prepare for marriage in more ways than just dating the person you’ll marry. You need to learn how to behave around boys and men, and learn what types you like.



Peter: You can learn how to behave around boys and men (or girls and women for that matter) while out with them in groups. If GROUP’s parents think that beginning to date includes both her junior and senior years of high school, so be it. Trust me, GROUP, you’re not going to go to college unprepared just because you didn’t start single dating at 17. If you go to a non-church school, then you definitely don’t have to worry about knowing less about dating, hardly anyone is dating there anyways. Trust me you’ll be leading the way.


If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment