Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Should She Move Back Home After College?

Dear Peter and Molly,
I am graduating in a couple of months. I know it probably sounds pathetic, but I have no idea what to do. I know the prophets have always said to get an education, so I was very dilligent in getting an education, but they never said anything about being diligent in starting a career. Part of me just wants to move back home with my parents, but I would feel so pathetic if I do. I don't even know where to start otherwise. I was hoping I could be a mother by this point in my life so my post college plans would be easy. Any advice?
Thanks,
Aimless at the I

Molly: Aimless, most colleges will have a career and advising center. I would start by setting up an appointment to go and talk to a counselor. Colleges are experts in helping people like you know what to do next. Don't worry about starting this late, most jobs won't be hiring until a month or so before you graduate in any case, so you're actually right on schedule.

Peter: Don't go back home. I know it feels safe and secure, but when was the last time safe and secure helped you move on with your life. If you want to move back to your home town, then go ahead, but strike out on your own, you've figured out how to live on your own for at least four years, so now do it outside the safety of college. Getting a job is as easy as walking into a place you want to work and asking for one.

Molly: Peter, I think your advise is just a little unrealistic. College graduates right now are not just walking into places and getting jobs, and without a job, striking out on your own isn't exactly a pretty looking option. Especially if Aimless is starting with some student loan debt, which will start to be due here pretty soon.

Peter: Then go to graduate school, if you can't find work immediately. Molly your first advise was good, go do something, get out of your bubble and start asking questions, that's how you move on with your life.

Molly: Just don't ignore the support system you have if it doesn't work out.

If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment