Tuesday, January 22, 2013

How to Avoid Pressure to Cheat?

Dear Peter & Molly,
Is that your real names, like Peter Priesthood and Molly Mormon, because if so that is too cute? I don't exactly have a problem, I just want some advice. I'm about to go into 8th grade. My brother was in 8th grade two years ago, and he told me about all of the cheating, and it kind of freaked me out. At the time I just thought that I would be able to tell people that I didn't do that kind of thing, but I've started to make a lot of really good friends, and school is scary enough, I'm worried that I might lose them if I don't start cheating with them next year. I even started to see it a little bit this year, like when my teacher left the room, fortunately no one asked me for any answers, because I don't know what I would have done. My brother, though, said that 8th grade was way worse, and that everyone did it. I hope it isn't as bad for me as it was for him, but if it is what should I do? Losing my friends is not an option.

Signed,
Scared in Jr. High

Peter: Dear Scared, thanks for your letter, Molly and I wanted to take this one because this is one issue that we do both agree on and so we wanted to speak out about it. To answer your first question that's not our real names, but thanks for asking, we just thought it was cute idea.

Molly: I think the most important thing we need to remember is that cheating is wrong. Some things are just worth doing because of a sense of what is right and wrong, and being honest to ourselves, and cheating is one of those issues.

Peter: I know you've heard the old saying cheaters never prosper, and it's hard to see that sometimes when they pass classes, get good grades on tests, and never face any consequences, but the saying talks more long term. I know when you're in Jr. High it's hard to see how knowing all that stuff matters, but it all will come back, and not knowing it will hurt you.

Molly: Not only that but getting used to being able to take the easy way out teaches you that you can get something for nothing. You can't get something for nothing. No one can, there is always a price, sometimes we just don't see that price right away.

Peter: As for your specific situation, I don't think you're going to have as hard of a time as you think you will. Everyone's experience is different, and just because your brother had a harder time with cheating in 8th grade, doesn't mean you will. You have already gotten a group of friends, and those friends have never asked you to cheat before, they're not just going to all of a sudden become cheaters. If they've shown you they want to be honest, keep them around you, but never be afraid to make new friends either.

Molly: You certainly know that I am a big believer that you can live the gospel and keep your friends. I agree with Peter that it's good that your friends have shown you that they don't cheat, but even the best people make mistakes, and it's important that if you are asked to cheat you can tell them no without ruining your relationship. Try saying something like, "Dang, we should have studied together before the test." Or if they want your homework say, "Sure I can help you with your homework after school." Let them know that you want them to be successful in school too, that is just one way you can't do it.

If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment