Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lust & The Sermon on the Mount

Peter & Molly,

Well I'm not sure what kind of questions you guys are looking for, but here's one that's been on my mind recently. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus said that "whosoever looketh after a woman to lust after her, hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Well, I'm not a bad guy, and I don't think I'm an adulterer, but I am a guy, and sometimes (lots of the time) I lust after women. Will this really be counted against me like adultery? Because if it is, I guess I might as well commit some actual adultery, it would probably be more fun.

Have fun with that,
Jimmy Carter

Peter: Jimmy, you don't have to go commit adultery yet, you're still pretty safe. The point that Christ is making is that we will become what is on our hearts. Notice he didn't say that you will have committed adultery already in your brain, it's not thinking about it that is the problem, it's wanting it more than anything that is the problem.

Molly: Well I agree that you shouldn't make the problem any worse, but let's not pretend like there's not a problem. It sounds like Peter is just trying to make excuses. This kind of reasoning is barely a step above "boys will be boys." Notice Christ didn't say that if you get angry at your brother you're guilty of murder, just that you'd be judged for both, but Christ did say, lusting after a woman was committing adultery.

Peter: No he didn't. He said looking at a woman to lust after her was committing adultery in his heart. Saying that he looked at someone to lust after them, implies a motivation for lust. It does not imply normal healthy sexual thoughts.

Molly: Normal healthy sexual thoughts are not lust, and I think it's important to recognize the difference.

If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment