Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Should She Babysit in Sacrament?

Peter and Molly,
I love the church and the gospel, and I understand that families are important, but I am middle aged and haven't had one, and at this point, I don't really want one. I am a professional that enjoys adult company, and find I have very little patience for children. I know I should love children, but I don't. The problem is that in my ward there are many families with lots of children. These children can get very noisy, and apparently someone gave a suggestion, apparently in a meeting I wasn't attending, that everyone in the ward would be willing to help out, so if a mom has to go out of the room with a screaming kid, and her husband can't help, there are others who will. Apparently, everyone thinks that this means I'm happy to help. I have tried to decline, but it seems like many of these families feel they are doing me a favor, because I don't get to hang out with children all of the time, otherwise they feel like it's the least I can do. How can I respectfully decline the wonderful blessing of watching other peoples kids.

Thanks,
Nanny Not on Duty

Molly: You must have a very open ward atmosphere if there are several people who feel like they can impose on you in the middle of sacrament meeting without you first volunteering. My honest advice is to try and find a way to enjoy the company of the kids. I'm sure you aren't like me, and actually enjoy every single sacrament talk, but there must occasionally be room for a diversion. If you've tried, however, and you've decided that you really don't want to be other people's free babysitter, a simple, "No thank you, I'm sure they'd be happier in the lobby with you," should do the trick.

Peter: Nanny, I might suggest a more passive approach, simply inform the parents that their children are welcome to sit wherever they like, which is of course accurate, but don't worry about the kids if they begin to climb up to the pulpit, or begin to wail for their parents. I'm sure word will get around quickly, that you aren't to be bothered with children.

If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment