Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Should this 13 Year Old Settle?

Dear Peter and Molly,
I'm 13, and my problem is that my parents just don't seem to have any faith in me. I've always loved drawing, since before I was in kindergarten. I'm pretty good, and I always enjoy the art classes I've gotten to take at school. The problem is that when my mom and dad ask me what I want to be when I grow up, and I tell them I want to be an animator, they say that's not a realistic goal, and that I should start creating some interests that may be more practical. It hurts that they don't believe in me, and I don't like anything else. What should I do?
Thanks,
Future Artist.

Molly: Artist, don't give up your dream of being an artist, but if your parents are telling you to start creating some back up plans there's probably a good reason. It's hard when you're young to be able to honestly evaluate your talents, and even you only describe yourself as "pretty" good. It's a hard field to break into, so having some other ways you can go would be smart.

Peter: My number one advise is to keep your grades up. You don't have to pick a career in the 8th grade. If you like art pursue art, and pursue it well, you'll find other interests as you grow older. Even though working for an animation studio may be really hard work to get into, there are lots of other fields for artists, such as graphical design or advertising that are good paying and very practical.

Molly: When I was 12, my mother told me that I was not going to be a professional ballerina, and it was the kindest thing she ever did. I loved dancing, and she had put me through 8 years of classes, and I was pretty good, but not great. She said I could always do it for fun. It helped me see my future in realistic terms based on my actual talents. Not knowing Artist, I can't tell him if he has a real chance, but his parents who love him the most are telling him to move on, maybe it's good advice.

If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment