Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Should She Follow Her Best Friend to College?


Dear Peter and Molly,
When I was two I met "Jennifer" my best friend. We've been friends ever since, no matter what's happened, we've always had each other's back. Well she just got admitted into BYU for next fall, but I didn't. So I figure that she'd stay here with me, but she's been talking about probably going. I'm feeling alone, and betrayed, I didn't realize best friendships ended when high school did. What should I do?
Sincerely,
CC for Me


CC, friendships don't end when high school does, but joined at the hip best friendships do. I know it may be hard to hear, but it's part of growing up, and while I know it may be hard, you don't really want to hold your friend back just so she can hang out with you for a couple more years.


Molly: I guess, I'm not as pessimistic as Peter is, of course you can still be friends, and she can go away to school. There are other colleges in that part of the country, close enough you could even become roommates. Also there are other opportunities around there, non school, you may want to pursue. Also, she may have other school applications in, and when she hears from them, her plans may change.

The bottom line, however, is that eventually, except for the person you marry, you have to part ways with people, and you can try to hang onto it a couple more years, or you can both do what's best for yourselves now.


Sometimes maintaining a friendship is the best thing, just because your friendship will change, sometime, doesn't mean you have to give up on it now. Don't hold it against your friend for being excited about getting into college though.


If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment