Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Should Mom Speak Up About Pinewood Derby?

Dear Peter and Molly,
My son recently entered the pinewood derby for the first time. We had never been to one before, and so when the instructions came that the boys should work on the project while supervised by their parents, I suppose we believed them. How foolish! We showed up at the event with a series of beautifully painted and designed cars, and my son's car was trampled losing the first two races. He was embarrassed, and to make it worse at the next Den meeting they all made trophies for their own cars, he had to make a trophy for the award his car won, "Funniest car"--it wasn't funny on purpose. I'm not sure what to do, should I just have my husband make my son's car next year? Should I speak to the Cubmaster about their less then stellar awards? Should I talk to the bishop about the dishonest Pinewood Derbies?
Sincerely,
Pining for Equality

Dear Pining, isn't it great that your son can learn that the world is an unfair place in the protected environment of a cub scout pack. I agree that the approach is less than fair, all the kids should have an opportunity to learn how to make a car, but alas yours was the only one that actually did. Teach him to take it with a grain of salt, it will be a lesson much more useful than a little extra self-esteem from Cub Scouts.



Pining, don't make a big fuss. I know it seems unfair, but learn from the experience and next year you can either make a statement by being the only Bear that continued to do his own car, or get into the game, and have your husband and son work together more closely.



If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook




No comments:

Post a Comment