Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Should She Move to Stay with Roommate?

Peter & Molly,
Guys, I need your help. I don't make a lot of friends, and so when my first roommate and I hit it off, I stayed with her for the last 3 years . She's graduating at the end of the semester, and she's going to move across the country for her job. I'm happy for her, but I'm terrified. I just don't have anyone else. I'm thinking of transferring schools so I can go be her roommate. My family says I'm crazy. Am I?
Thanks,
Soul (Room)mate

Roommate, yeah. I don't want to seem harsh, but you're being unrealistic. What happens when your soon to be ex roommate gets married.


Transferring schools is a nightmare, you have to have a lot better reason than having a hard time making friends. If you really can't make friends, then you need to learn, and this is a good opportunity to do so.



The more I read your letter, the more I think this has more to do the way you feel about your current roommate, and less about your fears for the future. Many people fear finding new friends, but no one moves away to do it. It doesn't make any sense. You and your roommate have a long overdue conversation, include your bishop if it becomes necessary.

Maybe a friendly person like Molly doesn't understand, but social anxiety is real, and does lead to crazy ideas, but don't run from your fears, face them. Many colleges have on campus counselors, they may help you face your anxieties.



If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment