Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Snooping Neighbors

Peter and Molly,
My family just  moved to a new neighborhood, we're anxious to make new friends, and tried to go around and introduce ourselves. Our next door neighbors seemed a little suspicious they started asking us questions about where we were from, and our jobs, and then they went and asked us about our criminal history. I was a little taken aback, but I guessed they were just trying to be safe. Well then I would occasionally go to close a curtain, and I'd see them just happening to be at the window right across from us. They'd usually wave, but after it happened a couple of times, I started to get weirded out. Then yesterday I am driving back home, and as I pull up I see the same neighbor looking in our mail box. I'm starting to feel like I'm under surveillance. What should I do?
Sincerely,
Under the Microscope

Peter: Microscope, I'd be weirded out too. Take some simple precautions that will help protect you and your family's privacy. Make sure you have curtains on all of your windows, and keep them closed. Ensure that your doors are always locked, and if possible purchase a motion detecting light for your front door. Then go to your post office and ask about options for lockable mail boxes. Buy a shredder, and make sure you shred any documents or mail before you throw it out. Make sure your fence is secure, and that the gate to your backyard has a lock.

Molly: If your neighbor is really so worried about their safety that they would violate yours, then they have a screw missing, and trying to stay away from them is likely only going to make their suspicions higher, and make them amp up their attempts to learn more about you. If they're opening up your mail box, they've violated the law, secure a lawyer to write them a letter explaining how their behavior must stop and consequences if it doesn't.

Peter: I'm surprised you'd jump to that Molly, you're the one who never wants to ruin a friendship. The reality is that while the facts seem weird, the only thing that was actually wrong was opening up the mailbox, and it's possible that they were just walking home, and got disoriented and opened the wrong one. I'm not saying it's no big deal, but taking simple personal steps will allow them to still open the door of friendship down the road, your approach closes it entirely.

Molly: Maybe one accidental mail box opening, but this is a pattern, and it's one that is making Microscope feel unsafe. The ship on friendship has sailed, it's time to protect yourself.

If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment