Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Are E-mail Wedding Invites OK Yet?

Peter and Molly,
     My son is marrying a delightful woman, and I'm very happy for both of them. They are throwing a budget wedding because neither I nor my son's soon to be in laws have much to give. I'm proud of how well they are planning, but they've recently made one decision that has me puzzled. In order to save money, they are sending out e-mail invitations to the wedding. They say that people rarely use the mail for personal correspondence, so not only would it be cheap, but also appropriate for this day and age. While I have to admit, even his grandparents have e-mail addresses, it just seems quite wrong. I would be willing to pick up the difference in price, but they've insisted that if I have additional money for the wedding they are grateful, but would rather use it in a different place. Am I just out of date, or is this touch just too tacky?
Thank you,
Mother of the Groom

Molly: Mother, because you are helping to pay for the wedding, certainly your voice deserves to be heard, but for the good of all involved I would suggest that once you give your opinion you leave the decision up to your son and his bride who are proving to be adept planners. As for the invitations, formal events still dictate a physical invitation, and I suspect that many people who get e-mail invitations won't put it on their calendar, expecting to see something soon in the mail.

Peter: The truth is that when it comes to Mormon weddings, there is no specific etiquette guide. I hope that Molly and I can do a pretty good job of keeping our finger on the pulse of what others would see as rude, and I certainly don't think the evites would offend anyone, but except for your son's peers, who would probably come just via word of mouth and a facebook invitation, the evite would probably not be effective to invite anyone who is not one of their immediate friends.

If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment