Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Easter Bunny Sunday

Happy Easter, we thought that this blog was appropriate for the week before Easter Sunday, however, you may not want to have your very young children read it, unless you think it's okay first.

Dear Peter and Molly,
My husband and I have a disagreement that we can't come to a conclusion on, and so we wanted your opinion. I want to tell my children about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, he says that how will our children believe in the important things we tell them about Christ if they found out we were lying about Santa. I say it's not that hard because they'll see how Christ is an important part of adult life, where as the others are not. Our oldest will be having his first Christmas soon, what should we do?
Sincerely,
Not the Grinch

Peter: Does that mean your husband's a grinch? I have nothing against Santa Claus, just like I don't have anything against Tom Sawyer. They are fictional characters, and fiction is very good for teaching truths. Santa is very helpful for teaching about generosity and the gift of Christ, and the Easter Bunny is great for learning about new life. I don't understand the elaborate means we go to in order to shelter children from the fact that these characters are fiction.

Molly: I know that there is a good argument to be had on the other side, but this is something that I agree with Peter on. Francis Church fibbed to little Virginia, there is no Santa Claus. Christ was real, he lived, and he lives. Santa Claus is a great story, and clearly it means a lot to many people. I would suggest that you don't go out of your way to tell other people's children that Santa and the Eater Bunny are fiction, but I would suggest that you help your children get in the habit of believing what you say.

If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment