Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Why Can't She Make Friends?

Since you know how much we love themes, we thought that over the next two days we'd look at two people who want help making friends.

Peter and Molly,
     I recently moved to a new city. I live by myself, so I've tried tof reach out to others in the ward and the school I attend. I enjoy putting on dinners, so I invite some of those I meet over. This has been going on for six months, and I've yet to have a reciprocal invitation. I'm trying to develop friendships but don't want to go down paths if there is no interest the other way. How can I find those who want to make friends, not just eat my food.
Thanks,
Always a hostess never a guest

Molly: Hostess, it seems that your idea of friendship is a series of formal invitations. While this isn't wrong, it does seem limited and old fashioned, which might explain why others aren't more responsive to it.

Peter: Try to find those you have more in common with. That may lead to more opportunities, outside of dinners. In addition, if there are those whose company you enjoyed at dinner, don't take their lack of an invite as proof they don't want to be your friend, they may just hate cooking, invite them out to something different, that may make them more comfortable sharing with you what they do enjoy.

Molly: Also, don't put too much pressure on yourself. Friends are great, but we don't have to match the unrealistic frienships we see on so many sitcoms these days. Eventually you'll have a family, and most of your friendships will fade to happy memories.

If you have any questions e-mail us at PeterMollyAdvice@gmail.com or find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment